Thursday, June 18, 2020

George Peter Frey

George Peter Frey was born 11 Nov 1893 in East Syracuse, Onondaga, New York. He died 9 May 1936 in Syracuse, Hamilton, Kansas. I read the following newspaper article on his death for the first time a few months ago. He must have been a dynamic person and a mover and shaker in the community. I wish I could have known him. I wonder what he would have done with the rest of his life if he had lived until a natural death. I am hoping some other family members have stories about him to share. I would like to know more. I have thought about trying to research the legislative archives in the state of Colorado and the Denver and Grand Junction newspaper for further articles on his tenure as a State Representative for Mesa County. Click on the image below to enlarge the article.



My Dad writes in his life story about his father's death:

"(When my Father died) I was a lad of 13 years, 10 days short of my 14th birthday. Right after the funeral my Grand Father Charles R. McBride took me to one side and told me, because I was the oldest son, I would be expected to take the place of my Father in the family. As a young lad I didn't understand the magnitude of such a responsibility however, I took the charge from my grandfather seriously."

"Shortly after my 14th birthday I recall a visit one day by the Sheriff Charles Lumley, sheriff of Mesa County. He came to visit Mother concerning my Father's death. I was helping Mother in the kitchen when he knocked on the door. I recall the news he had was very disturbing to Mother and shocking to me. It left a stinging memory deep into my soul. He told Mother that Dad had been murdered by unnamed persons he knew but said there was no way the police officers were able to prove it. There was only one witness of the death and that was the driver of the truck. He reported that Dad had stepped out onto the running board of the moving truck to turned on the auxiliary gas tank and slipped and fell under the wheels of the truck. This news was very disturbing to Mother. I clearly remember her saying, "You mean they took my husband from me. I'll see that every one is punished." Her statement was something to that effect. The sheriff then said, "Sadie, we know who they are but there is no way in the world we can prove it.' Words to that effect.

"I don't know if my family knows of the above story or not. I don't know if Mother talked to them about it. I know she never discussed it with me in all these years except years later I asked her if we should pursue an investigation. She said she did not want to open everything up again."

"The pain of not being able to bring justice to those who took the life of my Father and the weight of trying to fill his shoes has been a great burden to me all of these years."

Posted by Lloya:

I found this bio of Sheriff Lumley online:

Charles Lumley (1929-1941)

Described as a "philosopher sheriff," Charles Lumley was known and beloved throughout western Colorado as a man who took pride in keeping troubled young people outside of prison walls. Quoted in the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel, Lumley believed that "if a person can save one boy out of a dozen he has done more for humanity than he would do if he sent all 12 to jail." Also known to federal investigators for the "fine grapevine" he kept on criminal networks, Lumley was known to have saved the community from the cost and turmoil of major crimes diverted by his able management of situations and the philosophy he inspired in his officers. Lumley died in office from an attack of meningitis and his funeral in 1941 was attended by more than 1,000 residents and colleagues from around Colorado, one of the largest funerals ever known in Grand Junction.

Sheriff Charles Lumley

1 comment:

  1. George and Sadie are my great great grandparents. This was amazing to see while helping my son do family history homework

    ReplyDelete