Monday, June 15, 2020

Sadie McBride Frey


I don't have many pictures of my grandmother Sadie McBride Frey. I think this must be her professional photo. She looks official and dignified. Sadie was born the 23 Dec. 1879 in Tooele, Tooele, Utah. She was the 12th of 15 children, 9 of which were girls. From the information I have she met George when he came to Utah to work on the railroad. They were married in Tooele by Charles McBride who was a Stake President (I think) and also her Dad. Sadie was Mormon and the granddaughter of a well-known Mormon apostle. George was from a staunch Catholic family. I wish I knew something about their courtship. It must have had it's "interesting" moments. After marrying, they lived on a 20 acre fruit farm in Fruitvale, Colorado just east of Grand Junction. After George's death in 1936 she was left to run the farm and raise five children. She also became a probation officer and worked with juvenile offenders. In her later years she owned a dress shop in downtown Grand Junction, Mode-o-Day. I remember one of her favorite phrases was "Isn't that grand!" or "Isn't he (or she) grand." She always said it with a smile in her slightly husky voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment